Monday, December 29, 2008

Why do I do it?


OK, I know most people have in their head the idea that all Aussies are tanned. Well, this is so not me!

I am "lucky" enough to have that pale English complexion - you know, the kind that looks like I haven't seen the sun in years.

I spent the day at Noosa today, which is a gorgeous town up on the Sunshine Coast, about 2 hours drive north of Brisbane. In preparation for the day, I remembered to slip, slop, slap (actually, I couldn't find my hat so I just slipped and slopped!). Once we parked the car halfway up a mountain and walked to find our friends at the far end of the beach, I was already burnt!

I got into the shade as soon as I could, but the damage was already done. It was too late for me!

Being the pale creature I am, I tend to burn, peel and then go white again, and burn in patches.

So, now I'm at home, wishing I had some aloe vera gel and looking at my skin that resembles a red and white patchwork quilt.

Why do I do it? Because I'm Australian...and living under some delusion that one day I will live up to the stereotype!

No comments: