Friday, December 19, 2008

Losing it

What a week! Work has been particularly awful this week - or it may just be how I was looking at work this week that made it so awful.

You see, it's the last week before Christmas, the office will be closed from next Tuesday and everyone has left it all to the last minute. Now I work in an office full of men. Not to attack the male gender as a whole, but this particular group of men have very little clue about what it takes to run an office. Oh, sure, all those lunch "meetings", networking functions and brainstorming board meetings are important, but when it come down to the day to day work, it's the faithful, hard-working admin staff that actually keep the office running.

Now, when God made us admin staff, were we the only ones to whom he gave a brain that can work out the complex process of filling the copier, changing the toner cartridge, actually putting our own coffee cup in the dishwasher? That seems to be the case. And so, day after day, we answer the calls - "There's no paper in the copier" (to which we reply, in our heads, of course, "you know, there won't be paper in the copier unless you put it in there yourself"), "The coffee machine is beeping", "There is a paper jam", and the list goes on and on...

As you can probably tell, I am not having the best week.

It has had it's good points, though.

I haven't mentioned it yet, but as my title says, I am working on changing myself. I am at Weight Watchers and I have got some weight to shift before I move overseas. Now that my goal has possibly been brought closer, I have stepped it up and am happy to say that my temper is not the only thing I have lost this week! Still a "little" way to go!!

And now to all those faithful, diligent, hard working, loyal, polite, efficient, talented, organised, patient, understanding, tolerant admin staff everywhere, I wish you all a very Merry Christmas - because we all know that Christmas just would not happen without you!

No comments: