Sunday, April 19, 2009

The Wedding of the Year

This weekend, I was in Sydney for my friend's wedding and it was an amazing weekend. Well, technically, it wasn't a weekend as I left on Thursday, she got married on Friday and I was home Saturday, but it felt like a weekend which was very much needed after my two whole days at work last week!

So, Thursday came and after failing to read the fine print on my plane ticket about the time I needed to be at the airport to check in, I managed to make it to my flight with three minutes to spare. In Sydney, I met up with the bride's former flat mate, Jane, and two other friends, Ros and Ann, hired a car and drove to the outer suburbs of Sydney. We checked into our accommodation and then headed off to dinner with the bride and groom-to-be, friend's and family who had travelled from all over Australia and New Zealand. The groom, Aaron, is a Kiwi, but we can't hold that against him. Instead, in true Aussie fashion, we'll just claim him as our own!

Now, the restaurant was only about a ten minute walk from the caravan park where we were all staying, so we decided to walk it. What they failed to tell us was that it was all up hill and I was not wearing the most practical shoes.

So, twenty minutes and three blisters later, we arrived at the Outback Steakhouse, and it was amazing to catch up with Prue's family from Adelaide that I haven't seen in years! It was also very nice to feel a cool breeze - something not often felt in Brisbane at this time of year!



On the Friday, the day of the wedding, we headed to the shops to buy Ros (from Townsville) a jacket before she froze in the sunny 23 degree Sydney weather and me some flat, comfy shoes and then, at last, off to the wedding.

You couldn't have asked for a better day. The sun was shining and the bride was beautiful. The reception was so much fun and I even got up on the dance floor! For those who know me, that is a rare thing! I am not a dancer and have never, ever claimed to be, but I thought since I don't know half the people there and if I do make a fool of myself, I could always leave the country...perhaps in three weeks time, so it didn't matter!













Then came the time say farewell to the happy couple, wish them all the best and then they were gone. Next, it was time for me to say the first of my farewells, which was a little bit harder. Being all back together with my friends was just like we had never been apart, instead of being scattered all over Australia and soon, the world. Great times...







On Saturday, we checked out and drove back into Sydney, where we dropped in to the apartment of a certain Australian Idol winner, as you do, to meet with friends for lunch. The Idol winner in question is currently in New York and the friends were house-sitting. Still seems strange to think of him as being famous since we went to the same church for years!

Then, after a few hurried snaps of the Opera House and Harbour Bridge by Ros, it was time to head back to the airport, return the hire car (thankfully undented after a few close calls driving in Sydney CBD!) and board our flights for home back to Brisbane, Townsville and Adelaide. Home, sweet home.

Now the un-packing, washing and re-packing begins...

1 comment:

Sarah said...

There is some really nice photos there. I really like the one in the church with the picture or screen at the top and the last one with the sun. You should look at photograph as a job after the nannying. LOL :)