Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Christmas Day

I know it's already past, but I need to tell you about my Christmas Day.

After Midnight Mass on Christmas Eve, braving the freezing temperature both outside and inside the church and the dark, muddy lane leading to the church, I got to call my family on Christmas morning (12.30am, my time, 10.30am, their time) and open our presents together, thanks to the wonder that is Skype. It was absolutely amazing! So good to see everyone and even my 84 year old nana could almost hear me!

Made it to bed by about 2.00am, only to wake up at 6.30am to call them again before breakfast and present opening with the family I work for. After wading through mountains of trains and princess costumes, I headed back up to my room to get ready for Christmas with my family. They came to pick me up at lunch time and we drove through Richmond Park, which was now completely devoid of snow and ice, just in time for Christmas, to their house.

Christmas lunch was the whole deal - turkey, roast potatoes, Brussels sprouts with bacon, pigs in blankets, pudding, brandy cream, custard, mince pies...and the list goes on. My cousin put on an excellent spread. Then it was time for more presents, Christmas movies and a few "nana naps".

I got home late after a great day spent with family. Good times.

Boxing Day was a day to be spent in my pyjamas (none of this rushing out to Christmas sales for me! Do I look insane? OK, don't answer that!) with a good book, which is exactly what I did. The house was nice and quiet as the family I work for left for Devon for four glorious days.

The day after Boxing Day was very similar, although I did change out of my pyjamas and today, I even got out of the house and went to do some shopping.

So that's how I spent my Christmas, and the days that followed. Only three more days left in the year...in the decade! Wow! But I'll save all that for another post..

No comments: