Sunday, March 7, 2010

A Piece of Home

Assuming that it was going to be a wet day (I really need to stop listening to weather forecasts here!), I headed out to Westfield London on this lovely sunny day.

Which was good thing because the place was very quiet. I have missed mall shopping since being in the UK and there is a lot to be said for being able to do all your shopping under one roof. High Street shopping was a novelty for me when I first arrived and after battling Oxford Street on one-too-many manic Sunday afternoons, being back in familiar surrounds was a treat.

Although the shops are different, I could have been at any Westfield back home, and that is something I need right now. Not that I have had too much homesickness, but just little things have set me off lately. It started about 2 weeks ago when my skype connection cut out in the middle of calling home for my niece's 11th birthday, then one night this week, while cooking sausages I discovered that simple tongs are just something that the greater British public does not seem to feel a need for. See? Little things.

But that seems to have passed now and I'm sure it will hit me again later on. Just one of the "joys" of being an expat, I guess.

It was nice to be out of suburbia too. I feel like I have been stuck here the last couple of weeks, up to my elbows in baked beans on toast, school runs, birthday parties and play-dates.

I feel much refreshed after my little piece of home today (I wish I had some Tim Tams, though!) and may just head back into the city tomorrow. Must remember to check TFL for travel updates and line closures after I foolishly jumped on my usual bus today, without checking online first, and found my line closed...on a Saturday! I made it eventually, after a very long bus trip, and if that's the worst that happens to me on public transport in London, I figure I'm doing OK.

1 comment:

Narelle said...

Ahhhh shopping malls..... *sigh*