Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Oink?

I'm sick. Pretty sure it isn't swine flu, but I'm at home, curled up in bed with my laptop, breathing in enough eucalyptus oil to make a koala jealous and feeling like I could really use a new head.

This week is a pretty quiet one for me. On Sunday, I spent the day with my cousin and her kids in the city. After an awesome service at church, we headed to the V&A for lunch in their gorgeous cafeteria and spent some time watching the kids splash in the paddling pool in the garden. That day, I decided to wear some shoes other than my Crocs (just for a change) and paid the price...blisters! So, I'll bite the bullet and just wear the practical, comfortable shoes and be done with it.

Escaping the city, we headed to Westfield for a taste of home. No matter where I am, I feel at home in a shopping mall. Please don't get me wrong, I don't really like shopping much at all, but in a mall, things make sense. The shops may all be different, but the feel is still the same. When I first moved to Crieff in Scotland back in 2003, I remember walking into the mall in Stirling, after a few months of "High Street" shopping and feeling like I had come home.

Anyway, back to this week. The family are off to Devon again this weekend and I get the weekend off...all four glorious days from Thursday on. Originally, my plan was to get up to Manchester to visit my friends, but prefering to be selfish and keep this cold all to myself, the plan has been put on hold.

One thing I do have to do this week is change my Australian licence to a British licence for car insurance purposes. I'm not sure how I feel about it, since I will need to give up my Australian licence to get my UK one. Yes. They will take it away. Gone. Forever? Not sure, but it feels very final. At the end of the day, it's just a piece of paper (plastic?), right?

Well, that's how my week is shaping up. Sorry to disappoint you if were looking to read some glamorous tales of the expat life in London. Please stay tuned. I'm sure future posts will have something more exciting to report, other than head colds!

Now, where are my tissues...?

2 comments:

Narelle said...

Hi :)

Have been following your blog with interest as have just moved here a week ago with my partner. Will have to do the licence thing shortly too, let me know how it goes!

Bec said...

Hi Narelle! How are you liking London so far? I'll let you know how I go with the whole licence thing.
Have fun!