Saturday, January 23, 2010

It's just another Manic Monday...I wish it were Sunday

This has been a very long week. The only thing that has kept me going is Sunday. My one day off each week and the only kid-free day. Aahh, Sunday!

The week started off pretty ordinary, then got progressively worse. One day on the way to school pick up in the afternoon, I stopped off at the supermarket with 4-year-old in tow, and I thought I would be nice and buy him a magazine of his favourite character, Thomas the Tank Engine. He was so excited and even helped me pick one out for his sister. I had a moment of thinking I must be the nicest, most generous nanny in the world...how wrong I was.

The very next day, 4-year-old could not stop asking for another magazine and, after trying to explain that the magazine only comes out once a month and that he couldn't have a magazine every day as it was a special treat, this turned into a full-volume screaming tantrum, complete with tears (mostly of the crocodile kind!).

Meanwhile, 5-year-old girl has been demonstrating an attitude worthy of a Hollywood diva, answering back, hands on hips, "I'm right, you're wrong!" - the whole bit. I have been at the limit of my patience all week, which as you may remember is not that patient at all!

Add to that, there were copious amounts of snot, endless "Why?" questions, playdates, and trains, trains, trains!

So you can see why I may be looking forward to Sunday. It will most likely rain, so I think I'll find some nice, quiet gallery to spend the afternoon in. Sounds like heaven!

On a better note, on Thursday, I was walking back from the library, feeling sad and missing my friends and family, when I bumped into a fellow nanny I know and we had a really nice chat and then, just around the corner, I ran into a lady from the WI (Women's Institute) and she remembered me from the whole two times I had been to the meetings. It honestly made my day. It just felt so nice to see people I knew and have a conversation with someone over the age of 5!

And finally on Friday, I was without a car and had to do the school run on foot, an hour round trip, morning and afternoon, which was fine as I really enjoyed walking along in the rain. I arrived at the school, thinking how nice the rain was and how great it was to be able to be outside for work and not stuck in the office all day, when the first mum to arrive says, "Isn't this weather grim?".

I smiled to myself and thought it's all just how you look at it, I guess.

No comments: