Saturday, May 2, 2009

One Last Week

I finished work yesterday and said farewell to my career in the 9 to 5, Monday to Friday, commute-to-work-in-over-crowded-trains-full-of-noisy-school-kids...I hope!

This is my last week in Australia for a while and it's going to be a tough one. Now the serious packing needs to start. On Sunday, my mum and my sister have organised a farewell / birthday party for me and while it will be great to catch up with everyone one last time, I'm really not good at big parties and especially not good with goodbyes.

Monday I need to get my car ready to be sold. Tuesday, I'm doing some final shopping for last minute items and meeting a friend for lunch. Wednesday, I'm getting my haircut and I have an appointment at the doctor to make sure there is no trace of swine flu! Thursday is my only free day so far and Friday, I'm meeting the girls from my last job for lunch in the city. Saturday is for cleaning and packing and trips to the dump and Sunday is Mother's Day and I have a wedding to go to in the afternoon. Then it'll be Monday...the day I leave. Oh, and I need to finish packing somewhere in there, too...

At least being busy will help to keep my mind off the fact that I'll be leaving everything I know (again!), moving somewhere new (again!) and starting over (again!!). But even though the thought of that is hard, I am excited. I get the chance to start fresh. The chance to do things differently and not be locked in to doing things the same way I have done them for years. That thought is liberating!

This time in two weeks, I'll be in London, starting my new life and living my dream. I know it won't be easy but it will be an adventure.

And to use one of my favourite quotes by Jane Austen: "If adventures do not befall a young lady in her own village, she must seek them abroad".

No comments: